The Music Gallery is proud to announce the return of our residency program!!
After receiving hundreds of applicants last year, we hear you, space is important.
Our residency program spans over January and February 2024 and provides 4 day residencies at 918 Bathurst to participating artists. The purpose of the residency is to take up space! To be big, to be weird, and to be creatively productive, not capitalistically. There is no pressure to perform at the end of your week here, there is no expectation of productive output, this is a residency program to stretch out and be you!
We welcome all artistic disciplines including but not limited to- visual artists, writers, composers, musicians, performance artists, dancers at any stage of their careers as well as activists, teachers, students, or any kind of creative thinker interested in exploring and expanding their work in a way that needs physical room to grow.
How to apply:
Applications are collected via this form. There is no application fee for this program. This program is lottery based, meaning we do not qualify artistic merit within our applicants. Those who need space and whose parameters logistically align for the program, will be granted access to the space. Please be as specific with your needs as possible.
Key Program Information:
- Each selected artist will be granted 4 days of access
- Due to saff capacity, this residency is limited to 10AM-5PM on weekdays.
- Applicants can consist of multiple people (ex. bands), but each act can only apply once.
- There is no need for a presentation or artistic output for this program. During the intake process for selected artists, we will invite artists to opt in to casual sharing/exchanges and structure the program in response.
- There is no portfolio review or previous residency experience required to partake.
- This program is intended to be about space, artists should supply their own equipment but may apply to the equipment rental bursary (see below)
- There are three bursaries in place (child support, transit and equipment rental) that successful applicants may access.
- You will be responsible for your own technical needs, we will have a support staff available but no audio tech, this program is primarily hands off/ unguided. This time is for you 🙂
- This program occurs at The Music Gallery, 918 Bathurst St.
- There are 3 rooms on the main floor of the venue and 3-4 rooms in the basement. For images of all rooms, please view below.
- 918 Bathurst is not fully accessible, in particular there are steps to the main entrance, and stairs to the various rooms being used during residencies. Those with mobility needs should consider this when applying. To inquire about any specific accessibility needs please contact email@example.com.
- October 5: Application period begins
- November 2: Deadline for applications
- November 30: notification goes out to all applicants
- December 4: Intake and scheduling of residency artists
- January-February: Residency program
- February: Evaluation and Feedback
The Residency program is made possible through a partnership with 918 Bathurst.