The Music Gallery is proud to announce a new residency program that provides free-form space and time for artists. In an increasingly expensive city and with artists rehearsal and studio spaces dwindling, what artists need now more than ever is room to create.
This 2 month program provides artists 4-7 day residencies at 918 Bathurst. It’s designed to take up as much space as possible. To be big, to be weird, and to be creatively productive, not capitalistically. There is no pressure to perform at the end of your week here, there is no expectation of productive output, this is a residency program to stretch out and be you!
We welcome visual artists, writers, composers, musicians, performance artists, dancers at any stage of their careers as well as activists, teachers, students, or any kind of creative thinker interested in exploring and expanding their work in a way that needs physical room to grow.
A big thank you goes out to our Artistic Advisory Council for conceptualizing this project. The residency program is made possible in partnership with 918 Bathurst.
How to apply:
Applications are collected via this form. There is no application fee for this program. This program is lottery based, meaning we do not qualify artistic merit within our applicants. Those who need space and whose parameters logistically meet for the program, will be granted access to the space. Please be as specific with your needs as possible.
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS NOVEMBER 1 AT 11:59PM
Key Program Information:
- Each artist will be granted max 1 week of access.
- Applicants can consist of multiple people (ex. bands), but each act can only apply once.
- There is no need for a presentation or artistic output for this program
- If an artist wishes to teach a public course, or run a workshop during their week, they will be compensated by the Music Gallery accordingly.
- This program is intended to be about space, artists should supply their own equipment but may apply to the equipment rental bursary (see below)
- There are three bursaries in place (child support, transit and equipment rental) that successful applicants may access.
- You will be responsible for your own technical needs, we will have a support staff available but not an audio tech, this program is hands off/ unguided. This time is for you 🙂
- This program occurs at The Music Gallery, 918 Bathurst St.
- There are 3 rooms on the main floor of the venue and 3-4 rooms in the basement. For images of all rooms, please view below.
- 918 is a physically inaccessible venue, with many condolences, those with mobility needs should consider this when applying.