All Music Gallery community members—audience, attendees, members, artists, staff, event hosts, sponsors, presenters, exhibitors, partners—are expected to abide by this code of conduct.
By becoming a member of the Music Gallery, attending an event at the Music Gallery, or hosting activity in partnership with the Music Gallery (in any capacity), you agree to abide by this code of conduct, and cooperate with Music Gallery staff who enforce it.
We insist that everyone who takes part in Music Gallery activity remains mindful of, and takes responsibility for their speech and behaviour. This includes:
- Always acting out of respect and concern for the free expression of others.
- Actively listening to others and not dominating discussions.
- Respecting physical and emotional boundaries. Always ask before touching, and check in before discussing topics that may be triggering.
- Not making assumptions about identity, experiences, or preferred pronouns.
- Not using words that are racist, sexist, homophobic, classist, transphobic, cissexist or ableist.
- Humbly accepting respectful correction or correcting yourself, while keeping in mind that the impact of your words on other people is more important than your intent.
We do not tolerate oppressive behaviour, harassment, destructive behaviour, or exclusionary actions.
- Oppressive behaviour: any conduct that demeans, marginalizes, rejects, threatens or harms anyone on the basis of identity, background, or ability. This can include homophobic, racist, or classist behaviour.
- Harassment: deliberate intimidation; stalking; following; harassing photography or recording; disruption of events; aggressive, derogatory, or threatening comments; and unwanted physical contact or sexual attention.
- Destructive behaviour: damaging or altering any part of the building, inside or out, including furniture, equipment, or other people’s belongings.
- Exclusionary actions: denying certain community members opportunities to share views, skills and other contributions
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behaviour is expected to comply immediately.
Individuals: Anyone who engages in sustained unacceptable behaviour may be sanctioned or permanently expelled from future Music Gallery activity without warning (and without refund in the case of a paid event).
Organizations: if a representative of a renter or co-presenter engages in sustained unacceptable behaviour, their organization will not be permitted to program at/with the Music Gallery—enforcement would extend to the individual beyond their status as a representative of the organization.
What to do if you need help:
If you witness or are subject to unacceptable behaviour, or experience marginalizing or silencing behaviour that limits your full participation in any Music Gallery event, please talk to any of the following people:
- Matthew Fava (Executive Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sanjeet Takhar (Artistic Director) email@example.com
Your conversation will be held in confidence.
Updated February 2022
The Music Gallery Code of Conduct was developed from the Gamma Space Code of Conduct. We would like to acknowledge and thank the efforts of Gamma Space organizers for their willingness to share their policies.