As we prepare to resume live shows, we’re looking for staff!
Patron Services Representative – 4 positions
Date Posted: August 12, 2021
Application Deadline: September 10, 2021
Start Date: End of September, 2021
Hourly Pay Rate: $19/hr
Job Type: Part-time
Patron Services Representatives provide frontline customer service to Music Gallery concert goers at the Box Office and Concession. They are responsible for ensuring our patrons feel welcomed, for contributing to a professional atmosphere, and maintaining the tidiness of the concert hall.
Music Gallery’s events largely take place at 918 Bathurst St, though from time to time take place in other locations such as other concert venues, bars, libraries, bookstores and other community spaces. The ideal candidate is a lover of diverse approaches to experimental music and its various communities.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Upholding the Music Gallery’s mission, vision, values, policies and practices in the provision of patron services.
- Creating a professional service environment in which Music Gallery patrons feel welcomed.
- Upholding and enforcing Music Gallery COVID-19 protocol in presenting events.
- Assisting with the set-up, strike, tidiness and safety of the concert spaces, including the Great Hall, Sun Room and Gallery at 918 Bathurst.
- Assisting crowd control inside and outside the venue.
- Providing concert, season and other useful information to patrons as required.
- Selling tickets and memberships to patrons at the Box Office or refreshments and (occasionally) artist merchandise at the Concession.
- May require lifting up to 40 pounds (see accessibility statement)
- Accurately handling cash and cash boxes, including their safekeeping, at the Box Office or Concession and in the Music Gallery office.
- Patron Services Representatives report directly to the Executive Director.
- This is a part time position. The Music Gallery presents approximately four events per month over the course of the season, October-July, and typically requires two to three Patron Services Representatives at each event.
- You will be responsible for providing excellent customer service to MG patrons and for upholding MG customer service policy.
- You will participate in the set-up, operations and strike of all areas of the production environment at 918 Bathurst and other venues as needed; and you will also participate in the total clean-up of the entire Home Venue during Music Gallery productions.
- You will be responsible for selling tickets and memberships at the Box Office, including reconciling Box Office sales and filling out cash deposits. MG uses Square Point of Sale for onsite sales and reconciliations. You will be trained to operate the Showclix ticketing system for such purposes, create cash reconciliation forms, and participate in the cash reconciliation process at the end of the night.
- You will be responsible for learning about, staying updated with, and executing the Music Gallery’s COVID-19 policies regarding events. You are required to be compliant with such policies.
- You may, from time to time, help train new Front of House hires.
- You will report to the AHO (Anti-Harassment Officer) when required on site on events, usually the ED or AD.
- You may be responsible for buying & transporting wine & concessions.
- You will maintain accuracy with box office and bar floats.
- You will act as artist liaison with the space re: green room, collecting guest list names, supplying water to artists etc.
- Required skills or Training
Proof of vaccination will be required as a condition of employment, except in the case of a medical or religious exemption. It is mandatory to wear a mask at all times inside MG premises. The MG and its employees are required to remain compliant with public health regulations regarding vaccination as they evolve.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a passion for creative, boundary-pushing music.
- Is self-motivated, tidy and attentive to detail.
- Has previous retail/customer service experience.
- Is friendly, courteous and outgoing with patrons.
- Is able to work evenings and weekends, and very rarely, for matinees.
- Has experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Has been qualified by SmartServe.
- Class G driver’s license considered an asset
- Experience with Square Point of Sale and/or other ticketing platforms is considered an asset
- While previous training in inclusive practices, anti-racism and anti-harassment or the like are considered an asset, additional training will be provided by the Music Gallery.
- Additional Info
- The Music Gallery’s venue and primary job site, 918 Bathurst, is not currently wheelchair accessible due to stairs (two half flights to enter the performance space, and one flight to access the washrooms). We are working as quickly as possible with 918 Bathurst to make the building accessible for all.
- Patron Services Representatives may be required to lift heavy objects such as cases of beer, a bar fridge, beer tubs, bags of ice etc. which can weigh up to 40 lbs. Accommodation by other staff members may be possible in such circumstances.
Music Gallery does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Music Gallery is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
How to Apply
Please send your resume/CV and Cover Letter to:
The Music Gallery
Subject Line: Patron Services Representative Application
Please note that incomplete submissions will not be considered. Applications will not be accepted by fax, mail, courier or hand-delivery. No phone calls please.
The Music Gallery would like to thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.